Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, where you'll read about my family's progress in renovating our home - a custom-built board and batten (minus the battens) house built in 1975 on a rare 5-acre conservation-type piece of property in small town Ontario, boasting spectacular views of the village from the ridge at the back of the property (which I like to call, Ridgeview). When we moved here in the summer of 2010, the house had original carpets, flooring, cabinetry, windows, and decor. All it needed was a little TLC and a creative mind to remodel it, and so we got started...

You'll find links to some helpful home improvement sites and local contractors.

I also write inspirational poetry and quotes...so you'll catch glimpses of some of my work, and find links to my favorite sites and blogs, or you can follow my Poetical Soul blog (click here or the link at the top of the page).

Hope you enjoy your visit.
Cheers!

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Watching Birds...

Last Spring, I counted 14 different kinds of birds at Ridgeview-Glen.  We had the brightest red cardinals, biggest blue jays I've ever seen, juncos, wrens, lots of chicadees, a couple of goldfinch, four pairs of morning doves, a pair of orioles, some woodpeckers, and robins in the yard.  Starlings came around too (who have decided to take up residence in our roof this year - not cool).  I watched the turkey vultures and crows fly around at the top of the ridge, and spotted a hawk.  The Jays were particularly amusing to watch, especially when so many came to feed at once.  Almost as many birds have come back this Sping, including the largest crow I've ever seen, who just wandering around the yard yesterday.  Many mornings have been spent with the windows open, staring out the back yard and listening to all their songs.  I love this place.

Male cardinal that comes by every morning
Watching birds while having breakfast
(©Linda Spencer, 2011)

Through the kitchen window
I see them playing in the spring snow
flying back and forth,
first two then six or seven,
and even ten landing on the feeders,
just long enough to nibble,
then off they go up to a tree,
take a look around
and back they come again,
stop first on the top of the hanger,
then down to next feeder,
to nibble on some more,
As I take a sip of coffee
And nibble on my toast.


1 comment:

  1. We have similar birds come to our backyard each morning as well. Unfortunately, I don't take the time other than on the weekends to enjoy them...I should sit and enjoy them every morning just like you do. You definately have given me something to think about...life is too short and I do enjoy bird watching so I should do it more often....

    ReplyDelete